Are you on the hunt for the perfect gift for a one-year-old's birthday? Look no further! At Nest & Sprout, we've got you covered with a wide range of gift ideas that are both fun and educational for little ones. As babies start turning one, the increase for birthday gifts has been on the rise and our growing collection of toys and kids gear is the perfect stop.
Hey, do you know you can use MyRegistry to create birthday registries to share with friends and family? It doesn't have to end with your baby shower, keep creating registry guides for all stages and holidays to help family members know what is needed for your family.
PS. If the idea of gifts stresses you, maybe consider hosting a Fiver Birthday this year and every year going forward.
From Books to Experiences: The Best First Birthday Gift Ideas for Kids in Prince George
At this stage of life, one-year-olds are rapidly developing physically, cognitively, and emotionally. It's a really fun age to shop for because they are developing their own personalities, learning to walk, and exploring the world. With so much growth and development happening, it's important to find a gift that can not only entertain and delight, but also promote learning and development.
Clothing and Accessories
For some families, the last time they were gifted clothes was at their baby shower, and with this new stage and age there's new products they need and want to take on the season ahead, or the every day. Clothing is both practical and fun. Here's a few favourite go-to's in our shop
- Early Walker Shoes - Wee Squeaks shoes are a great option for one-year-olds who are just learning to walk. These shoes start in a size 3 and have a fun squeak that many little ones enjoy.
Fun & Colourful Baby & Kids Short Clothing - This season I suggest the Sleeved Shirt | Yellow Safari with coordinating Tapered Baby Pants | Fossil from VillerValla. You can mix and match with the green shirt, the purple pants, or the green pants. They all coordinate wonderfully and provide a cute and stylish outfit is perfect for little ones who want to look fashionable while also being comfortable. Made from Organic Cotton, your one year-old will be living their best life feeling good in their skin.
Swimsuit from Current Tyed or Jan & Jul - with warmer weather on the horizon, a swimsuit can be a great gift for a little one who loves to splash and play in the water. We love how these swim suits offer UV protection making them great for all year play.
- Tights & Socks from Olivia J - for cooler weather, tights and socks can be a practical yet adorable gift idea. Olivia J offers a variety of cute and stylish options for little ones.
These are just a few examples of the cute and practical clothing options that Nest & Sprout carries for one-year-olds. Other fantastic options include essential outdoor gear like sun hats, sunglasses, winter gear, and more. You can't go wrong with high quality essentials parents love having on hand.
Books and Board Books
Books are a wonderful way to promote language development and improve cognitive skills in children. Logically there is value in childrens books, but at the basic level they are an easy and affordable gift to give a child. Books easily get destroyed, and picking out new books for different stages can be a well-appreciated gift for a family.
- "Good Morning World" by Paul Windsor - this beautiful board book is perfect for teaching little ones about the world around them and inspiring a sense of wonder and curiosity.
- "My First 100 Words" Series - this series of board books is a great way to introduce little ones to basic vocabulary and concepts.
- "Magic Bath Book" - this interactive book is perfect for bath time and allows little ones to explore the world of numbers and counting while getting clean.
- "Sonny Says Sorry" - this charming picture book is a great way to introduce the concept of apologizing and making amends to little ones.
- "A Bear Sat on My Porch Today" - this beautifully illustrated picture book is a whimsical tale that will capture the imagination of little ones.
- "Counting at the Market" - this board book is perfect for teaching little ones about numbers and counting while also introducing them to the colorful and vibrant world of a market.
These books are not only fun and engaging for little ones, but they also promote language development, cognitive skills, and a love of reading.
- Visit the Exploration Place or Railway and Forestry Museum - two great options in Prince George for a family-friendly outing. Or give the gift of an annual membership
- A music or movement class, such as gymnastics lessons or dance classes - a great way to promote physical development in little ones.
- Class or activity enrollment, such as music lessons or a baby gym class - a great way to encourage learning and development.
- Visit to Lil Hoppers - a great option for a fun and active outing for little ones to play and explore.
- Weekend getaway to a family-friendly resort or hotel with amenities such as a pool - a relaxing and fun way to spend time together as a family.
- Pass to the City pool - a great way to enjoy time during the summer and winter months with the new Canfor Leisure Pool being a fantastic toddler friendly experience for many families.
These non-toy gift ideas are great options for those who want to provide a memorable and enriching experience for the one-year-old's special day.
Toys and Games
Of course, toys and games are always a hit with kids. For one-year-olds, look for toys that encourage exploration, learning, and sensory development. Our toy collection is always changing with new products and ideas being brought in regularly. We might not be the big toy shops in town, but we do have some fantastic options from brands my family has loved for years.
- Cozy or Dozy Dinkum Dolls from Ollie Ella - a soft and cuddly doll that promotes imaginative play and social-emotional development. These have a gentle weight too them and well loved as a gift for boys and girls who are ready to take care of their first baby.
- Stacking blocks from Uncle Goose - a versatile toy that promotes creativity, problem-solving abilities, and spatial awareness. Not only are Uncle Goose blocks practical but a fantastic heirloom toy that your kids will love for years to come.
Silicone Rainbow from Dena Toys - a fun and colorful toy that promotes sensory exploration and fine motor skills. My kids love the versatility of silicone toys because you take them outside, inside, into the bath, and incorporate them into many different play activities.
Holdie Wool Felt Creatures from Ollie Ella - a cute and collectible toy that promotes imaginative play and social-emotional development. A fan favourite for anyone looking for soft toys that inspire imagination and play. These characters are easy to hold and play with.
Punch & Drop from Plan Toys - a fun and engaging toy that promotes hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. And a classic early learning toy that every one-year old needs to have.
Boats from Plan Toys for Bath - a fun and versatile toy that promotes imaginative play and sensory exploration. I brought these bath toys in from Plan because of how easy they are to clean and they are a great addition to the tub.
Lovey from Kaloo - select from a selection of loveable bunnies and foxes to give that cozy memory of love. We love how these are available in a beautiful box for easy gifting.
- Push Along Duck or Walk N Roll from Plan Toys - a fun and interactive toy that promotes physical development as child pushes it along the ground. It's like the Wee Squeaks but with a much more gentle sound.
Oval Xylophone from Plan Toys - a musical toy that promotes sensory development and hand-eye coordination. This wooden music toy produces a beautiful sound you'll be okay having in your home.
While we believe that our selection of eco-friendly toys is top-notch, we also encourage exploring other shops and online retailers for alternative options. We understand that every child is unique and may have different interests and preferences when it comes to toys, so we encourage finding the perfect fit for your little one. You might find great alternatives at other local shops and boutiques and we encourage you to shop in a way that supports your family and community.